Twins in Two Nurseries

Monday was our first full day of having the twin boys in two locations (Carson at the home nursery and Coleman still at the hospital Special Care Nursery), and it was a very full day indeed.

First, having Carson at home for the first time on Sunday night made for an amazing and arduous start to the day. We’ll spare you the details, but suffice it to say that having a new baby at home takes more energy (and means less sleep!) than having a team of nurses care for your baby for you.

I should have done the math.

But despite the hard parts, it’s so wonderful to have Carson at home. And God was gracious to give us the strength to make it through Monday, even though was haven’t slept more than two-and-a-half hours straight in almost two weeks.

Next, we took Carson with us to the hospital for the 10 a.m. Monday morning feeding. Carson must have thought we were nuts to pull back up the hospital after he was just discharged on Sunday. But he was a good sport.

We found out that Coleman had fed really well Sunday night and that a Tuesday discharge could be possible. Excitement rising.

However, that would take a turn when Mom and Grandma Peg returned for the 1 p.m. feeding (Daddy at home bottling Carson) and the nurse found a little string of clotted blood in Coleman’s stool.

So Mom got a concerned word to Dad, Dad and Carson walked the 4 blocks to the hospital (thank you, Rigneys, for letting us borrow your single snap-n-go stroller just in time—that would have been a long 4 blocks to carry Carson in his car seat!), and the nurses swung into action, summoning an x-ray and ordering some blood work on Coleman.

Not long later we heard the report.

For this circumstance, it was good news so far: Neither the x-ray nor the blood sample turned up any troubling indicators. And as of late night Monday, Coleman hasn’t had any further blood in his diaper. If it shows up again, it may mean problems (infection or worse), but if it remains absent, he may still be discharged sooner than later.

Please pray that God would keep his good hand on little Coleman, healing him if needed, and give Mommy and Daddy grace to hold strong through any intestine or colon difficulties.

Then, more good news on Coleman came later in the day as he fed especially well this afternoon and evening—so well, in fact, that we’re wondering if there might still be an outside chance he could be released on Tuesday, if there’s no larger problem with his digestive system. But we don’t want to get our hopes up too much.

Finally, an interesting part of the day was Daddy’s trip to Maynard’s—to “save big money,” of course. Apparently, Grandma Peg brought one too many outfits for her long-term stay here with us to help us adjust to life with twins—and it was the straw that broke the camel’s back of the closet shelves.

The 1980s white-cage-like closet shelving all came tumbling down while we were at the hospital on Sunday, and so Daddy bought a new closet set Monday and installed it with the help of Josh Jacobs.

Josh is an engineer. Thanks, Josh, for your help! Now all Grandma Peg’s stuff has a home again.

The brothers nap together

Carson on the left, Coleman right

Carson on the changing table at home (we recommend brown changing-table covers)

Is that a wink and an I-love-you sign for Daddy?

Carson happy to be home, but ready to have Coleman join us

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Twins in Two Nurseries

  1. Auntie Kim says:

    David – I think you have the wrong spin on the sleep issue. Really, you should be celebrating that you got 2 1/2 hours of sleep. YEAH!! That is wonderful. Your body may seem like it could fall over but it will get use to it very soon!! Then when you finally get eight hours of sleep you will still feel tired in the morning because you slept too much! Hope today is a great day and litte Coleman gets to join the rest of his family at home.

  2. tjarksfamily says:

    I don’t know anything about taking care of twins, so maybe I shouldn’t even be asking, but is there anyway that someone could cover for you so you could get a larger amount of sleep at a time? I remember needing at least one 3-4 hour shift of sleep in order to feel good the next day.

    Also, do you have a contact person who is coordinating meals and helpers for you?

    • mathises says:

      Thanks, Andrea!

      Meg’s mom is here with us, so she and I are trying to learn how to tag team the night feedings (and diaper changes!) so that we all can get more sleep. Beginning last night, she handled the 1 a.m. feeding and I did the 4 a.m., but Meg still needs to pump at least every 3 hours—that’s the wrench in the plan right now for getting her more consecutive hours of sleep.

      Emily Thiel has very kindly offered to do meal coordination for us and is using the Meal Baby site. The link to our plan is here:

  3. Grandma Jane says:

    Praying that the Lord will renew your strength and give you grace for the journey today. Please give Coleman and Carson lots of hugs and kisses from Grandma Jane.

  4. Auntie Kim says:

    Two Sweet baby boys in One Nursery!! Hooray!! Now the FUN begins……
    Welcome Home Mathis boys!!

  5. Rick Mathis says:

    Signing up for email

  6. Rick Mathis says:

    Trying to signup again

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s